MediTaxi is a medical taxi service available to qualifying Fedhealth members in Cape Town, Johannesburg, Pretoria and Durban.
Fedhealth members who’ve had hospital authorisations can access the 24/7 MediTaxi benefit to take them to follow-up doctor’s appointments – provided they’ve undergone an authorised operation or medical treatment that prevents them from driving.
MediTaxi provides transport from the member’s home to the approved healthcare service provider such as physiotherapists, doctors, specialists or a radiology practice, and includes the return trip.
- Trips are limited to two return trips per member/beneficiary per annum.
- The pick-up or drop-off point must be in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town and Durban, and the total trip should not exceed 50km.
- The service is available to verified Fedhealth members. Europ Assistance SA will not request any medical information to support validation for the benefit.
Booking the MediTaxi service
When Fedhealth members phone to book a trip, they need to provide their a) membership number, b) date of operation, and c) healthcare provider’s details.
To access the MediTaxi benefit
- Members need to save the number *130*3272*31# for Emergency Medical Service (EMS), Nurse Line and MediTaxi as a contact on their phones (under Europ Assistance or a name they’ll remember for emergencies);
- When they need to book MediTaxi, members need to choose this number and select the service (EMS, Nurse Line or MediTaxi). An SMS will be sent to the Europ Assistance Emergency Contact Centre who’ll phone them back within the agreed emergency timelines for each service: EMS – 120 seconds; Nurse Line – 2 hours; and MediTaxi – 2 hours before pick-up.
Changing a booking time or location
If the member moves from the original booking location without notifying and confirming with the call centre, we may not be able to successfully deliver the service. It is the member’s responsibility to notify us within a reasonable timeframe of their intention of changing the pick-up location.
Pick-up and drop-off points
When members book MediTaxi, they will agree to a pick-up point. At the specified time and location, the call centre will notify them that the pick-up driver has arrived, and they will have 15 minutes to meet the designated driver. If there’s no response after 15 minutes, the call centre will notify them that the pick-up driver will be leaving and the trip will be cancelled. Cancellation terms apply.
Any bookings cancelled less than 60 minutes before the agreed collection time, will be billed at the full rate and deducted from the member’s total covered incidents.
Additional terms and conditions
MediTaxi will cover a maximum distance of 50km from point of pick-up to point of drop-off. If members wish to travel further from this point and capacity allows it, they will be charged accordingly, and payment terms will directly be facilitated by the DSP. Members are urged not to pay any gratuity to the provider rendering the service.
If members are not entirely satisfied with the service, they can log a call through the Europ Assistance call centre. We will provide the member with feedback following a full investigation.
We trust that this free service will help to make Fedhealth members’ recovery after a hospital event a little easier.
For a downloadable version of this document click here